Monday, May 3, 2010

"What do you mean this? You just pointed to all of me!"


I had a great weekend! Very little work was done, but my soul was edified and I love that. I had a job interview on Saturday morning which went, I think, pretty well. After that I got the privilege of leading some group games and discussions for Freshman Initiatives so the 8 Freshman Torrey groups (of about 15 people each) could have a time to reflect and evaluate how they are doing as a group. It was a positive experience being on this side of things, seeing as I was in their shoes just a year ago. Anyways, as we waited for the groups to finish up on their personal reflecting times late at night, some of the sophomores gathered to watch Avatar. In the midst of the night activities, there were many runs to fast food places, doughnut places, and grocery stores by the sophomores for the groups as a joyous act of service. I loved every minute of it. Some of the sophomores stayed up till the last groups were done (7 am the following morning I believe was the latest) but I crashed at 3:30 am. Church the next day was quite peaceful, there were only 11 3 yr. olds as opposed to the usual 18 or 19. What a joy they are! Lunch with the family was refreshing and wonderful! Then we rushed back to college so I could make it back in time to go with a few dear friends to see "How to Train Your Dragon". It was a fantastic movie. In fact that is why I'm really writing this post, I said all the other stuff about my weekend cause I wanted to, but this is really about my review of this movie.

It was beautifully made. Legitimately, objectively beautiful. I have never wanted to fly so badly.
It really highlighted the contrast between darkness and light in such a beautiful way. The story was common but this is the kind of story that never gets old: Young person not expected to do anything with himself, proves the people wrong but keeps it a secret. Girl discovers secret and becomes a part of the secret. Boy saves the village. *Sadly* Single parent realizes that they were wrong and apologizes. Apart from the very end, this is a superb story line about being a hero and doing the right thing when no one expects you to or even thinks you can't do it. My only issue with this movie is that (even though it could've just as well been a story warning parents not to be the alpha-viking who does not care for his son) so many movies now a days, depicts the parental figure that is supposed to be wiser, kinder, and more mature, as stupid, foolish, and not-understanding of the ways and the imaginations of a child. Not to mention that parents are rarely displayed as both father and mother together... it's all too often just one of the parents and the other one either died or left. This is a tragedy because children need to look up to their parents as heroes just as much if not more than to literary or imaginative figures. Anyways I've talked about parents before in my "The Space between the start and the stop" Post... so I won't say anymore... only that that is my only complaint in the movie. Other than that it was simply beautiful.
It had a minor political message of "save the animals" (at a higher cost than it should've been) in it but it was quite harmless in the end. There is more than one way to be a hero and I think one of the ways can definitely be to understand you're enemy and change your approach because of what you discover.
Anyways... it was a beautiful film, absolutely breathtaking scenery! An utter breakthrough for Dreamworks animation. It's worth it to see it in 3-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment