Saturday, May 29, 2010

Goodness Gracious... Literally


4 semesters, 44 units of blood, sweat, and tears. This, my friends, is the image of cadet-hood in Torrey. God is good. I think of where I am now as compared to where I was two years ago, anxiously anticipating college and not even remotely interested in the great books program where it seemed as if one is forced to sacrifice their soul to the shrine of tedious, brain-splitting, hard work. There was always a part of me that wished I was smart enough to be in an honors program but I most certainly was not. Had you told me that I would have had to read all these books I probably wouldn’t have even wanted to. God’s will for me fortunately was not my own. He handpicked me in a funny way and it was not because I have any talent or ability in the academic world. I’m glad I didn’t listen to myself, my plan seems so silly now. Anyways, before you freak out, I didn’t read every page of every book, several of the books required smaller selected chapters or sections of the text.

Either way, these aren’t like other pieces of literature that you read in college, I wouldn’t even consider selling these books back to the bookstores. They don’t just tell you facts or how to do certain things (which are immensely valuable, don't get me wrong); but they are an integration of history, developing thought, stories, logic, politics, and so much more. But not only are they reflections of ancient to modern culture and thought; they become a part of you because of the manner of participation in the reading of these ideas and stories. My words, thoughts, reactions are an irrevocable part of those margins and spaces of each text. God is gracious to have allowed me the strength and ability to get through each book, each discussion, each pull question, each paper, and 4 don rags. Four semesters later, I am now a cadet in the program and have done very well by God’s grace, something I never imagined myself saying two years ago. How cool. Thanks God.

No comments:

Post a Comment