Friday, January 15, 2010

Explained: The Set Change

As you, if I even have any readers, have noticed, I recently changed almost everything about my blog. I spent hours searching for and finding a template and rewriting some html because the links didn't work and various things of that sort.
Amidst these changes, you may also have noticed that I changed the name of the blog. I thought that my first name was o.k. but excessively cheesey and quite like the annoying person that runs around telling everyone to smile all the time. The truth is, I want to dwell on all things bright and beautiful because that's exactly what real home is like, but we're not home yet. We live in the shadow of home and the imitation of what is real. I read an article by C.S. Lewis one time about the stage and how as the audience we are quite curious to know the reality behind the set. We wonder who the actors and actresses really are, and that those painted masses aren't real mountains and trees, they just look like them... and to go behind them would reveal how very unreal they are. But to step outside would reveal real mountains and trees, real people, and real lives, just as stepping behind the curtain would reveal how very unreal the shadow is. Theaters mimic what is real, but they aren't real themselves. This world is but a shadow of real home, I am fully convinced of this. That is why I changed my name.

"The Curtain Call" is when, at the end of the show, the actors and actresses stop acting. They come out on stage in their costumes and bow before the audience for their fantastic display of shadow-making (imitating real life). Something casts the shadow we love and so I call my blog "The Curtain Calls" as a summons for the curtain to be lifted and to explore what is beyond the shadows so we can make this show even more like the real, good thing. There is much to be loved in this shadow as Lewis's character, the unicorn, remarked in the Last Battle upon entering Aslan's Country, "The reason why we loved Narnia is that it sometimes looked a little like this... come further up and further in."

No comments:

Post a Comment